Friday, May 12, 2006

You may well know what I did last summer, crazy man in a yellow waterproof, but I know what I did last night

I take back, in part, what I said about The Apprentice: Martha Stewart. Last night I watched the second episode, and it was much better than the first and much more in keeping with the other shows in the Apprentice stable.

After that, Wife went to bed so I decided to watch the end of The Eye, which I had started watching the night before.

This is the third film I've seen by one or both of the Pang brothers, the other two being Bangkok Dangerous and Bangkok Haunted. The former was quite good fun in that Hong Kong hitman kind of way. Not a classic of the genre by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad. The latter, however, was almost unwatchable. In fact, I couldn't even finish it, it was so bad. Now I watch a reasonable amount of films, and I'll watch virtually any old crap, but this was so bad that I had to stop watching, so that says something. If you're reading this and you disagree, please feel free to leave a comment listing its redeeming features.

So, bearing in mind these previous two experiences, it was with mixed feelings that I opted to watch The Eye. I had a vague recollection that it was about a blind girl who has cornea transplants, and that once she can see, she begins seeing ghosts. It's a reasonably common storyline, but that doesn't mean it still can't bring some surprises. And on the whole I quite enjoyed it. It doesn't overstay its welcome, clocking in at just over 90 minutes, and it plays out at a reasonable pace.

The acting is pretty good throughout, and the script is not bad. Of course, I say this knowing that some people find that Asian style of acting fake and wooden, whereas I quite like it. Horses for courses, I guess. As Asian horror movies go, it one of the best of the crop from the past five years or so. And the ending is pretty good, as it happens.

After watching the movie, I thought I'd go and blog about it, but although I did come to my machine and read a couple of comments and leave a couple of comments, I couldn't actually be arsed to do any blogging. So I've done it now, instead.

PS: Of course, the yellow-coated man in the pic above is not the crazy loon from those horror movies. It's a statuey thing that stands down in Whitstable, Kent, near the oyster stalls. And that's my arm grabbing for his fish. It just looks so damn tasty...

PPS: If you enjoyed reading this somewhat meandering attempt at a review, please feel free to check out my others. You'll find them under the heading "My reviews (such as they are)" in the sidebar.

7 Comments:

Blogger Red said...

Were there any girls with long dark hair crawling up the stairs or out of the telly?

12 May, 2006 13:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

No, Red, there weren't, thankfully. Those Ring films really bored me. That's the difference between HK horror and Japanese horror, you see.

12 May, 2006 16:05  
Blogger The Wanted Man said...

I remember seeing the Eye, pretty good film as I recall, similar to the Sixth Sense but interesting.

Jesus, I remember watching Bangkok Haunted to the end. I have actually repressed it from my memory but every now and then I get flashbacks of that shite.

12 May, 2006 16:31  
Blogger a.c.t. said...

I love Asian horror films so will keep an eye out for this one. Er, no pun intended..

12 May, 2006 23:27  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

Yes the idea has probably been used more than once, but it is a good one. I recall "The Hands of Orlac".

13 May, 2006 00:19  
Blogger me said...

"a reasonable amount?" understatement? god you must live in the rental shop!

13 May, 2006 08:27  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

I watched another last night (13 May), FF, and have another lined up for tonight... A bit of a lull in the workload.

14 May, 2006 12:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?