Friday, May 19, 2006

Thank Christ, he’s not gay

There's a lot of talk right now about The Da Vinci Code, and on the back of the publicity garnered by the movie, sales of the book have skyrocketed. Funny, I thought everyone (except Wife) had read it by now, but obviously not.

I read the book last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, even though many literary critics are slamming how it is badly written. It's a trashy pulp novel - what do you expect? And frankly, if literary greatness is something along the lines of The English Patient, then give me trash any day of the week.

Anyway, the latest and greatest comment on the Da Vinci Code controversy must be the one from the great (and famously gay) actor Sir Ian McKellen, who plays Leigh Teabing in The Da Vinci Code and was fantastic as Frankenstein director James Whale in Gods and Monsters a few years back. (I think he's also in those dodgy Lord of the Rings films.)

According to Sir Ian, Christians should be happy with the book. As reported by IMDb, McKellen said: "I'm very happy to believe that Jesus was married. And I know the Catholic church has problems with gay people and so this would be absolute proof that Jesus was not gay."

Of course, Sir Ian should know that being married and having kids is not necessarily proof of heterosexuality, but I shan't let that stand in the way of a good story.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some christians are 'up in arms' about the film and encouraging a boycott.
This makes me want see it all the more.

19 May, 2006 10:34  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yeah, they just don't "get it", do they? It's all just more publicity... Like with The Last Temptation of Christ all those years ago.

19 May, 2006 10:40  
Blogger me said...

gonna upset some folk now.

the da vinci code. work of fiction? maybe.

a lot more believable than an unknown entity "creating a whole planet" one person having a rib removed to make a mate. (were are all in breeders) talking snakes, talking burning bushes, people living to be 500 years old, people parting waves, people returning from the dead only to rise to the "heavens" and not be seen for another 2006 years! if you could do half of that stuff wouldn't you be showing off abit more often?

what would they say if we stood outside thier churches every easter getting all wanky about thir "book" at least we know who wrote the bloody da vinci code!

i have nothing against anybody having a faith, it helped my father in law no end in his last few days, but it should come with a bit of perspective!

and relax!

19 May, 2006 10:54  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Didn't upset me, FF, and it's my blog so it's my rules!

19 May, 2006 11:01  
Blogger me said...

cheers big man.

20 May, 2006 08:46  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

20 May, 2006 15:02  
Blogger Unknown said...

hahaha. oh well, that's how publicity goes. let's just enjoy the suspense! everyone's so boxed up about this. can you believe it's R18 here and won't even be shown in the mall where everybody goes to?

hmmm. i won't be throwing my beliefs away on some tragically realistic novel, even if it IS a good read. come on! i've been a catholic since i was a baby. i can't throw all that away, not even for dan brown! hahaha.

anyways, thanks for the visit! hope you're okay! :D

20 May, 2006 15:03  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its just a fantasy

20 May, 2006 20:04  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

I am looking forward to the movie, almost went this weekend but we'll be there this week sometime. I think it's going to be a lot of fun. enjoyed the book because I LOVED Holy Blood Holy Grail...and I love goddess worship.

I think the success of the book is cool because a lot of people have discovered or rediscovered looking at art and architecture. Plus, a lot of fans of Da Vinci Code are people who couldn't reconcile the sexism within SOME church dogmas and so they could embrace the idea of goddess worship put forth in Da Vinci Code. It is truly amazing how many people have read and loved this book.

I think it might be a reverse "Passion". I also love The Passion of The Christ, went opneing day and cried like a baby. Very Bravehaert kind of theme to the story. Jesus was portrayed as a super rebel.

That is a very cute very funny anecdote of McKellen, thanks for posting it gave me a chuckle.

21 May, 2006 02:29  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

Grow a beard, get crucified, get laid. Jesus! What a life!

21 May, 2006 11:17  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Some life, eh, 4D? Over by 33, too.

CM: I'll probably wait for the DVD, so as to avoid all the people! Not seen Passion yet, but really should.

DP: Yeah, but which is? Religion or the book/movie...?

Hi again Erika. I'm fine thanks; hope you are too. (It is a good read.)

21 May, 2006 12:57  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DP: Yeah, but which is? Religion or the book/movie...?
all of it

21 May, 2006 21:27  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Figgered!

22 May, 2006 08:39  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?