Thursday, May 25, 2006

I know: I’m a blasphemer

Apparently, today is Ascension Day in the UK. Ascension Day is the day on which Jesus was taken up to Heaven, from where he is yet to return but apparently will one day.

This passage from Wikipedia describes the Ascension:

"The third account of the Ascension is in the Acts of the Apostles (1:9-12). For forty days after the Resurrection, Jesus continued to preach the Gospel. Jesus and the eleven [disciples] were gathered near Mt Olivet, to the northeast of Bethany. Jesus tells his disciples that they will receive the power of the Holy Spirit and that they will spread his message the world over. Jesus is taken up and received by a cloud. Two men clothed in white appear and tell the disciples that Jesus will return in the same manner as he was taken."

Let's look again at those last two sentences: "Jesus is taken up and received by a cloud. Two men clothed in white appear and tell the disciples that Jesus will return in the same manner as he was taken."

Umm, surely these people were all on drugs. I mean, it's things like this that make it difficult for me to buy into Christianity. I know that believers will say this is not literal and that it's symbolic of what happened, or some such. And that's okay.

But some fervent - might I say, militant? - Christians use the Bible as the last word on a wide range of subjects, including homosexuality and tattooing. So, is it okay to pick and choose the bits you want to believe? Surely it either is The Truth, or it isn't?

6 Comments:

Blogger Candy Minx said...

Very good questions.

Um, I am okay with the believers that say its all metaphor and symbolic...it's the born again Christians who take the Bible and stories so literally that firgten me. they are killing the spirit in which these magic myths and stories were recorded orally and for inspiration.

You may also already know that I feel these ancinet tories are metaphors for science particularily astronomy. Theya re memory chambers of celestial activity. That is why when a god is on a story, there are always stars and sky activity. The metaphors and poetry function incantatorily to aid with memory.

But I ramble, love the questions...
Um, avoid my blog till you see American Idol, it will be a spoiler..I don't know how you guys keep the show under wraps for two days! Maybe England should be in charge of American intellignce? meow. Heh heh.

25 May, 2006 17:29  
Blogger Wrinkled Weasel said...

never mind that. just take time to listen to what he had to say while he was around.

If you still think its bollocks ( i know you dont think that) then what does it matter?

Jesus never judged anybody, just for the record and i don't get what "loving your neighbour as yourself" has anything to do with myth or the stars.

25 May, 2006 18:16  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Thanks, guys, for your feedback. I don't even know why I'm visiting the subject of religion (specifically Christianity). Perhaps it's that there are so many Christian blogs out there that I'm exposed to it more than usual.

25 May, 2006 18:36  
Blogger Cynnie said...

you think too much ..
I was raised in a STRICT religious home..and it caused me nothing but pain pain pain...( actually most super religious seem so fucking miserable)
I have faith man ..just simple faith..And MY god and MY jesus are loving and kind..they WANT me to be happy..and they KNOW i struggle with being a decent person...they think I just fucking rock!!..
Am I going to be made a saint any time soon ? nope ..but ask me if i give a rats ass..
Let go of the crap ..embrace the love

25 May, 2006 19:36  
Blogger Candy Minx said...

Wrinkled Weasel...I know that's why i am working on the stars and mythology. Its there. shit, I'll have to write a book, heh heh.Um, and I agree the words of Jesus are the best part. he never took no shite and he stood up for clean clear heart thinking.

As far as morality, the tenants of most religions are not unique to humans. Even animals practice the golden rule. Its common sense and rooted in nature and survival.

25 May, 2006 19:54  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Believe in whatever the fuck you believe in. Belief is the key to our minds. Nothing is real without belief.

25 May, 2006 22:07  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?