Sunday, April 23, 2006

St George’s Day

I don't like that England's own patron saint's day seems to have negative, racist connotations, much like the notion of "Englishness" rather than "Britishness" and/or having a shaven head.

And while I never celebrate St George's Day, just as I never celebrate St Patrick's Day, St David's Day, or St Andrew's Day, I like to at least recognize its existence, rather than sweep it under the carpet like the black sheep of the UK's patron-saint family.

So, without further ado, Happy St George's Day to one and all.

1 Comments:

Blogger a.c.t. said...

I absolutely agree. What really annoys me is that everybody remembers March 17 as St Patrick's day and then they all parade around like sad fuckwits in green hats (even though most of them aren't even Irish). Ask anybody when St George's day is and nobody seems to have a clue.

24 April, 2006 10:09  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?