Friday, April 21, 2006

“Old people” dig music, daddy-o

There's an interesting story on the BBC news site today. Under the wonderful headline "Music-loving mums rock CD sales" the article tells us how "older people" – i.e., those in their 40s – are buying more music than their teenage children. And within the article we are treated to pictures of Neil Sedaka and Barry Manilow.

Now, hold on for just one doggone minute here, please. I'm four years away from 40. Wife a little closer (I hope she covered her eyes at that bit). And we buy a goodly amount of music. But the latest stuff we have bought includes the likes of Alkaline Trio, Bright Eyes, Funeral For A Friend, Aimee Mann, My Chemical Romance, and Trivium. We're not parents, but we are still almost in the age range that the article is talking about. And frankly I don't see our tastes changing so much that we'll start buying Neil cunting Sedaka CDs within the next five years.

(At this point, I should mention that Wife has a soft spot for Manilow, so we have a couple of his CDs here and we've seen him in concert twice. And she'd love to see him during his current Vegas stint. What can I say? He's a good entertainer.)

Furthermore, on a recent shopping trip – I think the one when I bought Trivium – I saw a "young" lad of about 18 leaving the store pleased as punch with his purchase. And what was it that he'd spent his hard-earned money on? Well, I know because I saw him proudly showing his girlfriend. It was a double pack of Phil Collins CDs. Phil fucking Collins!

It's a fucking good job that "old" cunts like us are out there buying music with balls, cos the young cunts coming up behind us are about to destroy any sort of integrity the music scene ever had.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger me said...

cannot belive you didn't batter the little sod. it is a fine line between irony and tackiness.

21 April, 2006 10:30  
Blogger FOUR DINNERS said...

I'm 48 n buy new stuff n listen to old punk n Bowie n what have yer. Manilow? Sedaka? People buyin' that have got to be in their 80's or somethin' - your mrs excepted o course.

A young Phil Collins fan?? Should 'ave run him over.

21 April, 2006 16:55  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

It concerns me that people so young can find anything of worth in Phil Collins music.

(Also, to be fair, Wife didn't buy the CDs; they were gifts. At least one of them was from me anyway.)

21 April, 2006 17:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil Collins? Phil bastard Collins? No No No. Kids today eh?
I like Pete Doherty, not as an artist, its just that he is the only rock and roller who the press hate, so it must be a good thing.

21 April, 2006 19:38  
Blogger tideliar said...

Good fucking post mate!

22 April, 2006 00:35  
Blogger Camie Vog said...

I repeat...I heard a Phil Collins song on 4D's Punky Radio....hahaha.

22 April, 2006 02:21  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?