Monday, April 10, 2006

Now I’ve gorn an’ dunnit

I told someone I have a blog. Apart from me and Wife, no one knew until last night. It felt like a dirty secret.

My friend, let's call her Laura, reacted pretty much in the same way I would expect any of my friends to. First, "Why?" And then, especially because she knows how much I go on about my workload, “I thought you were busy. How have you got time to be writing a blog?"

The first question is difficult to answer, and I don't think I did so particularly well, but it kind of all fell into place (in my head, at least) with the second answer. It's precisely because I'm so busy that I started this dang fool's errand. I am currently sitting at my Mac for around 12 hours a day, working, so I figure I can afford two or three 20-minute breaks to scribble some shit online.

I don't think that makes it any easier for anyone to understand if they haven't kept a blog or read any. And to be honest, when I first heard of blogs, I thought, "Why?" But then in – I guess late 2004 – Wife started telling me about a blog she was reading: Bloghdad, about an Italian journalist type who went to Baghdad. While there he kept this blog. Right up until the time he disappeared, never to be seen or heard from again. I've never read it – my Italian is not that great – but Wife says it's really well written. It was this that first made me think maybe there is more to this phenomenon than meets the eye.

All the same, I just want to write about inane crap.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have added you as a link from my shite sorry site.
Inane doesnt even begin to describe the mental drool that falls onto the screen.

10 April, 2006 20:35  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

Yeah, you're my first!

Well, sometimes inane is just what the doctor ordered.

10 April, 2006 22:37  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?