Sunday, April 02, 2006

“If it’s up there...”

What could be better than watching Family Fortunes reruns while eating your Sunday lunch? Frankly, nothing – at least that’s what Wife and I think. It’s great to see how stupid our nation really was ten years ago, or however old these shows are.

Today’s spot of brilliance – and I’m not trying to get all literary-snobbish or anything – came with the request to “name a Shakespeare play with a person’s name in the title”.

Macbeth and Romeo & Juliet came up quite quickly, but that wasn’t enough for dear old Les. Nope, he needed another two answers. And that’s when it all went a bit rotten in the state of Denmark...

A Midsummer Night’s Dream”, offered Jules, defending her choice by saying, “Summer’s a girl’s name.” Big fat X for you, thickie.

“No, I can’t think of one. My mind’s gone blank,” was the reply of the next family member. I suspect, in fact, her mind was always blank. XX

Still, that was probably better than the next attempt: The Tempest. “Oh no, that’s not a man’s name.”

XXX, and over to the other family for their “chance to steal”. Oh, if they only had a brain.

The Taming of the Shrew offered the first, because “a shrew is an animal”. Yes it is. But it’s not a person’s name, you dummy.

“Orrick” was the next possibility they came up with, and then “Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”. I kid you not. What the fuck are these people on?

In their defence the two men on the team suggested Richard III and Othello, before settling on the former. X

The missing two answers were Othello, as suggested but discarded by team captain David, and Hamlet. Ouch, and she was so near with “Orrick”.

Fuck the crows! ... “I’ll give you the money meself.”



And on that subject, this caused tears to run down my face. Wife said I looked really sad. I was just in so much pain.





Listening to: Hypnotize, by System Of A Down. What else goes so perfectly with Family Fortunes?

1 Comments:

Blogger me said...

whats better than family fortunes?

try blankety blank! les dawson was pure genius!

09 May, 2006 09:19  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?