Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Here we go again

There is a horrible trend emerging in the UK. It started just before Christmas 2005 and seems to be continuing apace. It is our inability, as a nation, to care properly for the animals in our zoos, wildlife parks, and the like. Arguably they shouldn't be caged in the first place, so the least we can do is look after them when they are.

The latest victim of this kind of "accidental negligence" (as I like to call it) is eight-year-old giraffe Kwaheri, who suffocated, seemingly as a result of an allergic reaction to the sedative used to calm him down.

Giraffes have been particularly badly hit, in fact. A couple of months back, two died in a fire at a zoo – a one-week-old and its mother. If memory serves, one of the survivors of that fire died a few days later, too.

And, of course, the list of shame begins with Toga, the baby penguin that was kidnapped from a zoo just before Christmas.

Question: where the fuck are the security cameras?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I agree. People capture innocent wildlife intending to preserve their existence by providing a habitat, but later display them to the public for entertainment. It's a worse fate for these animals than being extinct, being around a foreign environment wherein anything really can go wrong with all those man-made devices plugged everywhere (fires and whatnot).

Anyways, I saw your link in blogspot and I thought I'd visit. :)

06 April, 2006 08:46  
Blogger * (asterisk) said...

It's not an ideal situation. I'm sure the keepers love and respect their charges, and of course it's wonderful to see animals from other parts of the world, but there really needs to be better observation of those things that can go wrong, like you say, electric heaters, fires, etc - and clearly even drugged animals.

Thanks for stopping by!

06 April, 2006 12:03  
Blogger Unknown said...

No problem.. I was super bored here, been here in front of the PC for hours! So bored in fact, to randomly blog-hop. :D

I know I gotta have a life some time, but it's our summer break here in the Philippines and my parents aren't too laxe about me hanging out with my friends and whatnot---HOWEVER!

I'm glad I got to see your blog. ;) Enlightening entries you have here! :)

06 April, 2006 15:30  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Who links to me?